What is Wellness?
Wellness is being in good physical and mental health. Because mental health and physical health are linked, problems in one area can impact the other. At the same time, improving your physical health can also benefit your mental health, and vice versa. It is important to make healthy choices for both your physical and mental well-being.
Remember that wellness is not the absence of illness or stress. You can still strive for wellness even if you are experiencing these challenges in your life.
What Are the Eight Dimensions of Wellness?
Learning about the Eight Dimensions of Wellness can help you choose how to make wellness a part of your everyday life.Wellness strategies are practical ways to start developing healthy habits that can have a positive impact on your physical and mental health.
The Eight Dimensions of Wellness are:
- Emotional—Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
- Environmental—Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being
- Financial—Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
- Intellectual—Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
- Occupational—Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
- Physical—Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
- Social—Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
- Spiritual—Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life